Translated text

Presentation of the Translation

Once finished my translation and after dealing with various translation issues I came upon the problem of how to present my project. 

The original text is complemented by many photographs of geographical locations around the Basque Country that are mentioned in the text. It is also accompanied by various illustrations of the different Lamia. It was vital to keep these images for the translated text to have the same impact as the source text, which is a priority for translators. Translated texts should maintain the same function, message and have the same impact on the target audience as their source texts. With this in mind I went about trying to find ways to keep the images in the text.

The Source Text was in the form of an in-editable PDF file which posed a problem as when I attempted to convert it to an editable form it kept corrupting. I tried to find the same images used in the PDF on google to no avail. I then decided to try and use the SDL program that is available in the University, in order to create a parallel version of the text, that would hopefully allow me to simply remove the source text and replace it with a translated English text. It proved to be much more complicated than that, so in the end, with the help of my lecturer, we attempted to convert the file to a Microsoft Word file.

It was not perfect and some of the images didn’t transfer, the format went a little odd and some of the Spanish text proved to be in-editable still. However, I copied and pasted the images and graphics that I considered to be vital in order to remain faithful to the original text, to a blank word document. I then added my translations and the translated text turned out alright.

The next problem to arise was that I was unable to successfully copy and paste the translated text onto WordPress, and so I simply linked it to the top of this page as it was important to keep the form that I had created the day before. I think that the  presentation of my translated text, was perhaps the most challenging part of the entire project.

A river Lamia